Monday, January 21, 2008

Today was the first day of the program, but instead of classes, we had a two hour orientation session and then wine and snacks. These French people…I mean it was just a little past noon, and they were bringing out the bottles. But it did the trick. Everyone mingled and introduced themselves and it was really nice to meet all the people on the program (even if we had to talk all in French). There will be 14 of us, but today there were only 13 because one girl is still stuck in the U.S., too sick to get on a plane. We’re all girls, except for Dani, the guy from Mac. There are a couple of girls who have French parents or who have lived in France for part of their life, so that’s a bit intimidating. But all in all, I fall somewhere in the middle of French speaking ability, so I think I’ll be ok.

We all went out to lunch near IFE. I didn’t eat anything, because I just haven’t had much of an appetite since getting here and I had eaten fruit and granola for breakfast not too long before. IFE is very close to the Bastille (or rather, where the Bastille used to be, since it’s not there anymore), and because other people had their cameras out, I felt comfortable enough to take a picture of the statue that stands on the spot where the Bastille was. Here it is.


Now I’m going to take a nap. I think that either I’m still jet-lagged or else having to process French all the time is making me sleepy. Later this evening a bunch of us are going to meet up (one of the girls, Leona, has an apartment) and then go get something to eat and catch a movie. She’s promised that the movies will have subtitles rather than being dubbed, so it shouldn’t be too bad.

I can’t post this right now because I have lent out my Ethernet cord, but I will hopefully post this before I leave tonight so that you will all know what I’ve been up to. I think I’m going to survive, which is a nice realization. But I do miss you all, and it always makes my day to get notes from you. Thank you for posting!

Love

Liza

4 comments:

ohdear said...

i miss you! when can i come visit? i want to see paris and you. you should come here too. berlin is amazing amazing. anyway. dont forget to blog because i want to keep track of you. here is my blog if you are real bored. http://lauraindland.blogspot.com/

Love,
Laura

Unknown said...

it sounds like things are improving what with the wine and mingling and all. i love reading your updates and i love you too...

Unknown said...

Wine at noon - ah, to school in Paris.... So what's it like speaking french all the time? Thanks for keeping us posted on the details - as Natalee says, "we luv details" :-) Glad you'll be surviving! Would've hated to never see you again... We miss you!

Unknown said...

Where's a picture of you and your classmates?