Saturday, January 19, 2008

In Paris and just a little bit overwhelmed

So this is officially my first post in France. I've been here for a day and a half and still feel totally overwhelmed. I have never traveled by myself, let alone moved to a foreign country, so this experience is quite new, and a little scary.
I got into Charles de Gaulle airport yesterday around 11am and luckily had no mishaps finding my luggage or a taxi. A short ride, and almost 50 euros later, and I was at my foyer (which is what student housing is called here). I had to fill out about a million forms and then I was given a tour of the building and shown my room. Let's just say I was underwhelmed with the room, which is small and has stained and cracked linoleum floors. At least it has a sink, which I am very grateful for. I found a mall sort of thing in the afternoon (centre commercial) and bought some things to make the room more livelable. Here are some pictures:

my bed with my new yellow blanket instead of the really itchy gross one they gave me
the ugly itchy blanket that i replaced
my desk

the view out of my window (the grass is where the light rail goes)

I've been walking around quite a bit and was happy today to find some cute alley ways to stroll. Here are some row houses that I really loved. They're split down the middle and some are even two different colors on either side.




And here's a windmill that just popped up out of nowhere in the middle of all these apartment buildings


And the bocce ball court that was full today with men (mostly old) because it's Saturday. They saw my camera and waved, which I thought was pretty funny.



Well that is all for now. I will write again when things liven up. I'm looking forward to Monday, when I get to meet everyone from my program. Also, I should let everyone know that the name of my blog (heh hmmmm...Hannah) is misleading, because I am not anywhere near the Eiffel Tower or anything touristy for that matter. My neighborhood has a lot of Chinese grocery stores and restaurants and a ton of apartment buildings. I will take more pictures of the neighborhood when I go out walking tomorrow.
I miss you all and would love to hear from you,
Liza

8 comments:

Mike Allen said...

You should stop in a chinese store and see if they have Taiwan Beer!

Mike Allen said...

Also, you can change the name of the blog if you go to "Settings."

Lars Johnson said...

Your neighborhood looks really nice! And in spite of what you say, I think your room looks cozy at least in pictures, and I'm sure you will warm even more to it. I love your picture setup!

johnny said...

Rhino and Pandora were sitting on the bottom bunk looking at your photos. They give them four paws up. Thanks for posting. We were wondering how it was going. We will take suggestions for a new blog name tomorrow at the shelter. Remember, kickoff time for the Packers game is midnight. Howevewrr you do have school the next day. Mom says that daycare is more fun with Liza. A lot of little friends agree. Goodnight dear.

Unknown said...

Oh Liza, you're there! Wow! So glad you made it safe and sound. I love the view from your window. :-) Looks like a bit of rain.... Keep posting, girl - we're with ya!

Unknown said...

it's amazing how a new cozy blanket can improve a living situation! it's still crazy to think that you're finally in france, just like you always talked about...

Anonymous said...

Hey! You were the one who created this blog name... and I personally think it is fantastic, despite the location of the tower from you.

I love you, miss you, and am glad you are safe. I can't wait to visit.

Abbie Chandler Defiel said...

whoa, a clean desk! haha love you! I wish i could train it to Paris more often.